06 December 2015

In Which I Spend Time Outdoors

Today was my synagogue's annual Mitzvah Day.  This is essentially a day of community service; a day when we go into the community and lend our time towards any of a number of projects.  This year, for the third time, I led a group to the Nature Discovery Center, a small park and (as the name suggests) nature learning center in Bellaire, TX.  It is a delightful little place, which I highly recommend visiting.

We were originally going to dig up a path in preparation for repaving, but circumstances changed, and the naturalist asked us to do some different projects.

First, we planted (or, rather, 'sowed') seeds in little tiny pots.  We lined the little pots in plastic trays, and filled them with a mix of soil and vermiculite, which is white stuff that sort of fluffs up the soil and improves the drainage properties.  Let me tell you, the soil needs fluffing up.  The local soil is known as "clay gumbo", which seems to be a mix of clay and rocks.  We would encounter clumps which we tried to break up, only to find that they were really soft, sculptable chunks of clay.  (I even made a dreidel!)
We then sprinkled each pot with a few seeds.  My table had Rudbeckia (black-eyed susans), and the other table had Gaillardia (firewheels).  And then we watered the pots.  There is an older lady who used to be a very active volunteer at the park, though her health does not let her do as much anymore, she takes care of the little seed-starting pots and waters them until they are grown enough to go into the ground.

After we filled all of the trays with planted pots, we still had an hour and a half left of our scheduled work time. (We were simply too efficient!)  So, we spent the remaining time digging up monkey grass from a patch of lawn.  Let me tell you, this is tricky.  The monkey grass is challenging to distinguish from the rest of the grass types (at least, for me).  Additionally, it has runners that tangle up with the runners of the other grass species, and untangling them without breaking and losing them is hard.  We didn't finish (not possible in one go!), but we removed a lot, and totally plowed up the corner of the lawn.  It was fun.

The whole morning was fun, really.  The weather was perfect, the work wasn't too hard, and we got to contribute to a local organization.  Success all around. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

In which I visit the National Museum of Women in the Arts

It's been a while since I've written, and I'm not going to bother trying to "catch up", because I wouldn't enjoy t...